Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pechanga show

Photo:  Howard Heckers

A sold out crowd at Pechanga Resort and Casino awaited Roger on the opening night of his 2010 tour,  and not only did fans come from all over California, they came from all over the world for the début.   Some of the fans in attendance came from Spain, Israel, Texas, and Florida.  The audience was so very welcoming and greeted Roger with thunderous applause and a standing ovation.   After playing the first song of the set, Take the Long Way Home, Roger commented that he was very happy to be playing in the United States.  It was obvious that the crowd was happy as well.   Everyone danced, sang along, and clapped to the songs that have been a part of our lives for over 30 years.   Some newer material was played as well.    Roger even gave everyone a preview of his song, The Awakening, that has not yet been recorded.  All was fantastic.   At one point everyone even broke into a chorus of Happy Birthday for Roger’s 60ththat was March 21.  Toward the end of the show, the crowd rose to their feet and again gave Roger a standing ovation.  They could not get enough.  This is what you call a reunion – a reunion between Roger and his fans.

Pechanga Set List 3/27/10

Don't leave me now

Dreamer

Fool’s Overture

******

School

It's Raining Again

COMMENTS

[ Posted by Joni Donze, March 28, 2010 4:04 ]
     Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all! Cannot wait to see RH & Company at Fallsview on April 23!

[ Posted by Sarah Mohrman, March 28, 2010 5:43 ]
     So wonderful to hear about the awesome show in California. I would just love the chance to see Roger perform live in concert. I have faith that one day it will happen for me.

[ Posted by Lisa Doxrude, March 28, 2010 11:11 ]
     Welcome home honey, we are so glad you have offered several shows in America this touring season, we so, so appreciate it. Here's to seeing you in Munich!

[ Posted by George, March 28, 2010 12:46 ]
     It was an amazing show. His conversations with the audience were so engaging and honest. Roger not only shared the music we have all loved for years, he also shared his heart and his life. Please include Southern California in all your future concert tours. Thank you Roger and may the Lord richly bless you.

[ Posted by Mark, March 28, 2010 16:02 ]
     I have been a big fan since growing up in Canada through the 70's and 80's. Looking forward to the show tonight in Phoenix, only 2 miles from my home of 12 years.

[ Posted by Henk Baars, March 28, 2010 19:29 ]
     Having seen concerts of Supertramp in Holland in Amsterdam and Rotterdam back in the day, and now I am living since 10 years in california I couldn't believe my eyes when I read he was going to perform in Pechanga, so we got tickets and enjoyed the concert last night, what a dream, what a blast!!!
He was amazing. We had good seats close to the podium and I felt being in a time capsule....
Unbelievable good concert with amazing quality performing, also by his Canadian companion.

Henk.

[ Posted by GooddrSD, March 28, 2010 23:48 ]
     So glad I went!! One of the best shows I've seen in my life!! Roger's voice was amazing and a couple of times I got goose-bumps. If any of you can help me fill in the blanks with the setlist, I'd really appreciate it. Here's what I have so far, just missed a couple:

Long Way Home
If Everyone Was Listening
Don't Leave Me Now?
Dreamer
Fool's Overture

E: School
It's Raining Again.

What a great turn-out it was. So happy I was part of it!

Thanks Roger!!!

Doc;)

[ Posted by Ana Lopez, March 29, 2010 6:20 ]
     How great it sounds!!! an amazing show as ever. Very glad to read this wonderful news!!!

BIg hugs form "RH Fan Club Español"
Ana & Vidal

[ Posted by Todd Bennett, March 29, 2010 11:41 ]
     Two months ago, when I whimsically clicked on a Facebook link of concerts in my area, I saw the name Roger Hodgson pop up. I have certainly enjoyed Supertramp's music over the years and still play a few poignant pieces quite frequently, but it took me a second to connect the name. Once I did, it became the one concert my wife and I will see this year (we're not much of concert goers--three in the last twenty years). When I showed up at Pechanga I was looking forward to hearing a few old songs, smiling, and hoping my wife would be okay with how we spent the time. I felt almost apologetic and guilty that I was taking up a seat that a diehard fan would have appreciated more. I had absolutely no idea of the treat I was in store for.

From the second Mr. Hodgson stepped on the stage with an honest, from-the-heart smile I knew this was something special and as cliché as it may sound, life changing. His candid tales of his love for his music and the journey that brought him there were so pure and sincere that I felt like I was violating the man's privacy. Both he and Aaron MacDonald were amazing in their versatility and mastery of several instruments as well as full of energy and passion to share their music with those of us lucky enough to have the honor of being in that room.

I recently lost my mother and father four days apart from one another, and on the very short play list of songs I played to help me cope was "Lord Is It Mine". I stopped playing that song a few months back in the hopes in would help me to emotionally move on. Purging the playlist was cathartic. When I heard it last night for the first time since that conscious decision to stop playing it, I couldn't hold back the tears. But not because of a melancholy feeling, but because of how beautiful that song was and the passion and soul Mr. Hodgson put into that song. He sang it from deep in his heart, and it echoed in me in a completely different light. There are so many people on this planet searching for pre-packaged spirituality and enlightenment, going to extremes to find truth and meaning in life, and at that instant it was clear that Mr. Hodgson had not only discovered it, but was willing to share it with all of us in the form of a song. The gift he and Mr. MacDonald gave me can never be repaid except with in the most sincere thank you I can muster!

They made me laugh, sing, dance (with very little rhythm), whistle, and cry. Like Roger said early in his show, the timeless songs will take us on a journey. Logical Song sent me back to high school and my first real record player. The Long Way Home had me back in my pile-o-crud '80 Honda wagon with it's tapedeck adding an extra rhythmic click per second to each song. Child of Vision played on my walkman back in the days when music helped me to pedal my bike faster. But no memory was as strong as the one to accompany Fool's Overture, which is one of the most impressive musical pieces ever made in any era. Watching them play that song was awe inspiring and incredible that they could put it together so beautifully. Aaron and Roger were the most amazing two-man orchestra I have ever seen, and I can't tell you how grateful I am that you two came to play this concert and how lucky I was that tickets were available when I clicked on line and that all the things fell in to place to allow me to be there.

I'm not necessarily an openly spiritual man, but the pathway of life meant for me to be right there at that time. Just a year earlier to the day I was celebrating the last birthday my father would ever have. If there is in fact a God that tracks my life and watches over me, then his gift to me was that seat at that time. And Mr. Hodgson's and Mr MacDonald's passion and soul that bled into everything they performed that night is something I will never forget. From the bottom of my heart, thank you both so much.

I am not one to normally write, but this experience was so amazing both in terms of the musical talent and quality as well as the emotionally charge associated with seeing such humble musical geniuses spilling their souls for me to enjoy, that I had to write (in multiple places even). Your concert was truly amazing!

Todd

[ Posted by Cherri Lamont, March 29, 2010 12:24 ]
     I was fortunate enough to attend Roger's show last night in Phoenix! Amazing! He is not only a musical talent and genius, he has magnificent stage presence. You leave feeling as though you've known him all your life.

Please come back to Phoenix soon - you are a true talent, and I'm a true fan!

[ Posted by Diego Mamani, March 29, 2010 19:12 ]
     I was overcome with emotion watching Roger perform in front of me this past weekend. It certainly brought me back, I think I saw myself as a clueless 15-year old, when I had just got a copy of the Paris album first, and the B-in-A album later (I know, reverse chronological order).

Roger's passion for his music and his sincere communication with his audience were extraordinary to behold. Wonderful, womderful experience for all of us in attendance. I can't wait to see Roger again, even if I have to travel far to do so.

[ Posted by Melinda, March 30, 2010 8:24 ]
     A phenomenal show! Everyone around us and including my husband and I could not believe the talent and the sound that Roger and his side-kick put out. Amazing ! ! !

@ Roger....I was taken by the words the words you spoke while introducing The Logical Song and why you wrote it. I would love the opportunity to share answers to your questions.
Thanks for touring and keeping the music we love alive!

[ Posted by alan, April 01, 2010 8:55 ]
     Afer listening to Rogers music for almost 30 years, I finally had the opportunitiy to see him live last Saturday night at Pechanga. I drove 4 hours, but would have driven 5 times that. I ended up camping out in the parking lot and driving home the next morning. What an incredible adventure. Roger sounds like he always did. I sure hope he comes to California every year now, as I really need my wife to experience his live show.
GooddrDS, I have the set list from the crew that night, and can fax or email it to you.
Alan

[ Posted by GooddrSD, April 03, 2010 0:28 ]
     Thanks Alan, that would be great. But, couldn't you just look at my list and fill in the blanks? Just need the names of the 4th and 5th songs.

P>P>M>

Doc;)

[ Posted by ron, April 03, 2010 8:02 ]
     Seeing Roger in Temeculas was an evening never to be forgotten and I also would be interested in the 4th and 5th songs so that in my old age i can recall the every song from that wonderful night.

[ Posted by GooddrSD, April 08, 2010 16:29 ]
     Awesome!!! Thanks to whomever posted the complete setlist for this show. Finally got the titles of the two songs I was missing.

P>P>M>